Art, architecture and design are closely interwoven and enhance our experience of space. In addition to functional design there has to be some element of art or design in order for that living, working or leisure space to be fully appreciated – form & function.
I escape into my own creative world through drawing. In high school I took my first drafting course and never looked back. Studying the 3 years program in Architectural Technology at Algonquin College in Ottawa, I went on to spend a number of years working in the architectural office environment.
Eventually my love of art was renewed with the opportunity to mesh architecture and art, specialize in Architectural Rendering for a number of years, both in Australia and Canada, having the chance to work on prolific projects with recognized architects, my most inspirational being Arthur Erickson.
Years later when I moved to Victoria to be near to family (and raise my own family), I began instructing at Pacific Design Academy in the Building Technology and Interior Design Departments. Little did I know how much I’d enjoy facilitating and guiding so many talented students in their career development.
It is through this experience that I have had the opportunity to meet many colleagues in the local field, including my business partner Trudi Jones. We quickly realized that our diverse talents compliment each other, understand there is strength in collaboration.
Although very different, our personalities and sense of design has enabled us to work together, to express the personalities and tastes of our clients.
Listed below is a summary of Wendy’s additional design achievements:
- Graduated Algonquin College on the Dean’s Honor Roll in Architectural Technology
- Worked and lived in Australia for 6 years, first doing contract architectural and structural construction drawings, eventually specializing in architectural illustration.
- Worked as Production Manager in an architectural illustration studio assisting the owner to grow the business to a team of illustrators. This experience proved invaluable in the development of her skills as an artist and manager.
- Travelled extensively throughout South East Asia, Europe and Africa – lived in Malaysia, on the island of Borneo for one year further cultivating her appreciation of architecture, art, design and civilization.
- Returned to Canada in 1993 Wendy had the privilege of spending the next 5 years working in the established and respected studio of R.L. McIlhargey and Associates in Vancouver.
- During that time was part of a talented team involved in projects such as the Vancouver Whistler 2010 Olympic Bid, the Portside Trade and Convention Centre and Cruise Ship Terminal Expansion Project, and the Vancouver International Airport Expansion Project.
- Received a juried Award of Excellence (for a Coal Harbor rendering) from The American Society of Architectural Illustrators and was published in in their annual catalogue.
- Freelance illustrator of multiple projects in Canada, Washington and Japan for 15 years.
- Department head of the Building Technology program at Pacific Design Academy for 3 years and 10 years later still enjoys teaches in that program as well as in the Interior Design Program, including 3 years instructing part time courses in ‘Intro to Interior Design’.
- Working with Trudi Jones on interiors prestige homes during 2017 and into the future!